Let us welcome you to the official website of Kishegyes settlement!
Kishegyes lies in the heart of Bacska, on the two sides of the river Krivaja, embraced by the Telecska hills, half-way between Újvidék/Novi Sad and Szabadka/Subotica. The number of its inhabitants reaches 5800, mostly of Hungarian nationality but Serbs and Gypsies live here as well.
The name of the village appears for the first time in history in 1462 when king Mátyás presented his mother, Erzsébet Szilágyi with several farmsteads around Szabadka, Hegyesthwrol being one of them. The majority of the ancestors of those living here today arrived in the spring of 1769 from Szentandrás in Békés county. Our church, erected in honor of St Anna was consecrated in 1788. During the resettlement, the village was built along the Krivaja (Bácsér); in the beginning 170 people lived here. On 14 July 1849 it was near the village that Richard Guyon defeated the outnumbering army of governor Jelasics, and thus fought the last victorious battle of the Hugarian War of Independence.
In the past, the agricultural estate, the metal-processing factory and the brickyard have been of major importance. Today our state enterprises are privatized. Many local entrepreneurs are managing their businesses well. Our village has a kindergarten, an elementary school, a library and a health centre. The careers of many writers, artists, actors, musicians and journalists have started in the village. Lajkó Félix and Rúzsa Magdolna have also started their careers in Kishegyes. The prime mover of the cultural life is the Petőfi Sándor Community Centre. The football, chess and women’s handball sections are currently active within the Egység (Unity) Sport Association. Our annual programmes are the Dombos Fest, the Anna-days and the Csépe memorial day. The Szó-beszéd, the newspaper of the local citizens is issued on a monthly bases. Our volunteer fire brigade has a 140-year-long past. Several non-governmental organizations function successfully in the village.
The history of the village
Kishegyes lies in the middle of Bácska, in the caldron surrounded by the Telecska hills. It forms a municipality together with Lovćenac (Szikics) and Bácsfeketehegy. It is one of the smallest municipalities of the Autonomous Province if Vojvodina, it has an area of only 181 km2. Its residents are Hungarians, Montenegrins, Serbians and other nationalities.
The village called Hegyes appears for the first time in a document in 1476, without naming the shire, when the estates of the Maróthi family in the region of the Tisza river were counted. In this list, there are: Szegegyház, Feketeegyház, Ket-Sopronya, Kutas, Nagyhegyes and Kishegyes. It can be concluded from the position of the other villages that Nagyhegyes and Kishegyes were beyond doubt situated in the place of what is today Kishegyes. However, there is a document from 14 years before, which mentions a farmstead called Hegyesthurol. On 16 February 1462 King Mátyas gave the settlements listed in the document as a present to his mother, Erzsébet
The Church of Saint Anne
The village got its first house of prayer in 1771, and in 1788 the squire and the chamber built the church. It was erected in honor of Saint Anne, it is 35 m long, 13 m wide, its tower is 35 m long, and its whole area is 526 m2. Its organ, which is still in function, was made by István Kovács from Szeged. The church has undergone several reconstructions. The last major reconstruction was in 1939, when the side-altars and the pulpit were put to their present place.
Apart from the main altar, there are three side-altars, built in a simplified Baroque style